Levels and types of industrial environmental control
Industrial environmental control (IEC) is a part of the environmental management. General direction over environmental management system is performed by First Deputy Director General of Gazprom Zarubezhneftegaz.
The Company has an effective vertically integrated two-level system of IEC.
Level I: control of adherence to the legislation requirements and standards, local technological normative documents in the Company’s business units and contractors. The person responsible for organization and implementation of the control level I, including control in the sphere of waste management in a business unit of the Company, is appointed by an order of a business unit head.
Level II: control of adherence to the requirements of environmental legislation, license requirements and conditions by the Company’s business units and contractors in the field of waste management. The person responsible for organization and implementation of the control level II, including control in the sphere of waste management, is the head of Environmental Safety and Management Division.
Industrial control in the sphere of waste management is carried out on the basis of the procedures and regulations of business units of environmental departments of the Company’s headquarters and business units as well as administrative duties of persons in charge.
Types of corporate industrial environmental control:
- In-house (documentary) control consisting in testing of necessary documentation set by the environmental legislation and the Federal Law «On the environmental expertise»;
- Inspectorial control consisting in facility examination;
- ecoanalytical control consisting in sampling and analyzing samples of industrial emissions, effluents and waste, their chemical analysis and biotesting.
Objects of control
Industrial environmental control is carried out over the objects which operations result in negative environmental quality changes. They include:
- sources of emissions of pollutants into the ambient air;
- sources of emissions of pollutants into the environment;
- flue gases cleaning systems; wastewater cleaning systems;
- waste accumulation and disposal facilities;
- equipment, units for waste use and decontamination;
- systems of prevention, localization and elimination of anthropogenic accidents;
- environmental objects located within industrial sites;
- territories (water areas) of nature management and sanitary protection zones. The Company’s equipment and facilities for waste decontamination and disposal are subject to license control in the sphere of waste management. They include: buildings, installations, technical means, equipment and other facilities owned by the Company as property or on any other legal grounds. Necessary professional training of the Company’s employees working with wastes is proved by certificates for working with wastes of hazard classes I–IV.
Additionally, the Company assesses the results of environmental condition and pollution level monitoring in the territories of waste disposal facilities and within the areas of their impact on the environment.
Control organization and procedure
IEC can be either systematic or off-schedule. Implementation of control measures includes their planning and preparation.
Industrial control measures in the sphere of waste management are special-purposed and constitute a part of complex IEC measures, including control of adherence to the environmental legislation as a whole.
Inspectorial and ecoanalytical control is carried out in compliance with technological normative documents of Gazprom Zarubezhneftegaz.
The control report drawn up by the results of IEC contains the following information:
- Compliance of inspected facilities with the requirements of the environmental legislation, environmental safety standards and in-housestandards.
- Compliance with the requirements of the legislation in the sphere of waste management, ecological, sanitary and epidemiological standards and rules of waste management set by instructions of waste management and draft standards for waste generation and disposal limits.
- Suggestions to implement necessary measures and works with the dates of their performance.
- In case of drawing up the results of inspectorial control which is performed along with ecoanalytical control — sample collection and studies results reports (or their copies with an indication of the department where the original documents are kept).
Control of suggestions and prescriptions fulfillment is carried out by the person who made them, without preliminary notification of the inspected one. Control of prescriptions fulfillment is carried out every month, the results are reported at the monthly summing-up meeting.
IEC results are subject to accounting, analysis and summarizing for further use in implementation of industrial control in the sphere of waste management.
The results of detected violations analysis are announced at the council of business units heads under the chairmanship of Director General and at the meetings devoted to the adherence to the environmental legislation.